Church of Sr Mary Magdalene, Newark-on-Trent
Photographed on 13 September 2002.
This parish church is notable for its tower and the octagonal spire (236 ft. high), the highest in Nottinghamshire. The central piers remain from the previous church, dating from the 11th or 12th century. The upper parts of the tower and spire were completed about 1350; the nave dates from between 1384 and 1393, and the chancel from 1489.
The sanctuary is bounded on the south and north by two chantry chapels, the former of which has on one of its panels a remarkable painting from the Dance of Death. There are a few old monuments, and an exceedingly fine brass of the 14th century. There is a hole in the spire which was supposedly made by a cannon ball during the Civil War, although there is some doubt locally as to the truth of the story. This hole is visible from some parts of the town centre.
It was heavily restored in the mid nineteenth century by Sir George Gilbert Scott. The reredos was added by Sir Ninian Comper.
Picture added on 09 November 2010 at 14:15